Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dark Salty Caramels


It's that time of year again: The Holiday Season. Time to start making cookies and candies to give as gifts to friends, neighbors, family, coworkers, and whoever else you'd like.

I don't know why I got the bug last night, but I decided to give these a whirl. Especially due to the the top-secret ingredient in the list. So, I measured out the ingredients and away I went. Sadly, these did not keep their shape.

I blew it in two places. The first being that I'm not sure I got the molten sugar all the way up to 350. This being because my digital thermometer fell into said sugar. Surprisingly, it did survive and is working now. But, not at the crucial moment. You don't want to play chicken with molten sugar. One second off and you go from dark to burned.

The second mistake was forgetting to let the molten sugar rest for two minutes before adding the butter and cream mixture.

These are quite tasty. Sweet and salty with a little bit of spiciness due to said secret ingredient. I like them and so did those who tried a sample. Would I make this again? Yup.

Oh...and just what was the top-secret ingredient? Soy sauce.









Recipe Link

No comments:

Post a Comment